In this article, we'll show you everything you need to know about the Yamaha VIN decoder, including what it reveals and how you can perform Yamaha VIN decoding for free.
What Is Yamaha VIN Decoder?
The Yamaha VIN decoder is a tool that allows you to decode your Yamaha vehicle's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), a 17-character code that uniquely identifies your vehicle and all the information related to it.
A Yamaha VIN decoder is typically connected to a searchable database containing extensive entries about the year, make, model, engine type, and other specifications of any Yamaha motorcycle or ATV. It can be used to identify and track individual Yamaha vehicles for safety recalls and theft prevention purposes.
How to Use a Yamaha VIN Decoder?
VinPit offers Yamaha VIN decoder as a free online service accessible to anyone who has a computer or mobile device with an internet connection. And the process of using it is extremely simple.
Here is a step-to-step guide on how to check a Yamaha VIN with our free VIN lookup tool.
- Find the VIN of your Yamaha vehicle (see the next section for how to do this).
- Open the website of VinPit. Then enter the VIN you've found on your Yamaha vehicle and click Start Search.
- Wait until VinPit finishes the search through its database and shows you the details related to your vehicle.
You can also check out this article to find more free alternatives.
Where Can I Find the VIN of My Yamaha Vehicle?
Finding a VIN of a Yamaha vehicle can be difficult if you are new to this process. To make things easier, we list some of the places you can look to find its VIN.
- The most common places you will see the VIN of a Yamaha vehicle under the seat, behind the left/front wheel, and at the rear under the fender.
- Sometimes you can check both sides of the steering tube/head pipe i.e. near the top of the front wheel. If it's there, you will find it printed vertically. The code is stamped on both sides of the tube.
- It can also be imprinted on the motor of the vehicle. Look at places behind the clutch cover near the right side of the motor.
- You can also find it on the vehicle frame in the front. It is sometimes put over a small metal plate that includes other information about the vehicle.
- Check the windshield on the driver's side corner and the doorjamb on the driver’s side to see if the VIN of your Yamaha vehicle is there.
You can also find the VIN with the vehicle documentation, such as the vehicle registration, purchase contract, and Insurance or lease policy.
How Will My Yamaha VIN Be Decoded?
Your 17-character Yamaha VIN contains a few different sections that can be read to figure out different information about the vehicle:
The 1st character of the VIN tells where the Yamaha motor vehicle was manufactured. VINs starting with J, which you will see on many Yamaha VIN, means they are made in Japan. And 1 stands for the United States, 2 for Canada, 3 for Mexico, and so on.
The 2nd character would be Y in most cases, which stands for the motor vehicle manufacturer Yamaha itself.
The third character of the VIN code determines the vehicle type or manufacturer division in which the vehicle was produced. For example, the number 3 or 4 means this is an ATV, A for motorcycle, and E for the snowmobile.
4th to 8th characters
These 5 characters are also known as the vehicle description code. It includes information like the type of engine, the model of the vehicle, body style, etc.
The 9th character is a security character that is used to confirm the VIN is valid. This character is generated from a mathematical formula with a weight factor table by the Department of Transportation.
This character stands for the year of the Yamaha vehicle model. It applies to the years of 1980 and later and is coded as the repeated cycles of alphabet letters (with I, O, Q, U, and Z omitted) and the numbers 1-9.
The 11th character stands for the plant where the Yamaha vehicle was assembled.
12th to 17th characters
The last six characters stand for the production serial number, unique to each individual vehicle.
Why Is a Yamaha VIN Lookup So Important?
With a Yamaha VIN lookup, you can find out information about your Yamaha motorcycle as follows:
- make and model
- year of manufacture
- market value
- mileage data
- title history
- junk & salvage records
- registration and inspection information
- warranty and insurance information
- if the VIN has been cloned or is fake
- country or region where the vehicle was manufactured
- specs of the engine, transmission, and other components
- if parts have been replaced or repaired
- details about the previous owners, such as the duration of their ownership.
In addition to the details above, VIN lookup results can also uncover any safety issues associated with your Yamaha motorcycle:
Our website gets safety rating details from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), and then generates a report about your Yamaha vehicle.
So you can know if your vehicle is in proper condition and safe to ride.
We will tell you if your motorcycle has ever been recalled for safety reasons, which can help reduce potential risks.
Alternatively, you can check recall history by visiting the NHTSA website or contacting its Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236.
Identify Stolen Vehicles
If you unknowingly buy a stolen motorcycle, you might still be punished. But our VIN report will help you identify stolen motorcycles to avoid getting entangled in this situation.
According to statistics, there is an increasing number of people who get injured and even die due to motorcycle accidents. However, we can give you peace of mind by checking if your motorbike has been involved in an accident.
You can also inspect your vehicle for physical signs it has been in an accident.
Sample Yamaha VIN Numbers
- JYARM06YXGA002282 — 2016 Yamaha FZ07c - (689 cc), Motorcycle - Sport
- JYARJ16E0AA020429 — 2010 Yamaha YZF-R6 - (600 cc), Motorcycle - Sport
- JYAVP02E42A018410 — 2002 Yamaha XV1600 AS (1602CC), Motorcycle - Cruiser
- JYAVP32EXDA003396 — 2013 Yamaha XVS1300CT CT (1300CC), Motorcycle - Cruiser
- JYAVM01E76A087480 — 2006 Yamaha XVS650 - (650CC), Motorcycle - Cruiser
Buying a used Yamaha vehicle involves risks, including the possibility it might not be safe to ride. However, a VIN report can help in this situation.
Our free Yamaha VIN decoder can reveal details about Yamaha motorcycles, such as its specification, safety issues, recall information, accident history, and more.
Verifying the true condition and value of a Yamaha vehicle helps you determine how much it is worth, and whether or not you should buy it.
When you use our Yamaha decoder tool, the website will present the VIN lookup results within a few minutes. Our service is 100% safe and legal because all the information is gathered from reliable sources.
Try our free Yamaha vehicle decoder for your Yamaha vehicle to provide peace of mind before purchase.
Yamaha VIN Lookup FAQs
What types of Yamaha vehicles can I run VIN decoding on?
You can check the VINs of nearly all Yamaha vehicles, including their motorcycles, ATVs, scooters, and more.
How quickly can I get a result from the VinPit Yamaha VIN decoder?
The VinPit VIN decoder works in a matter of seconds. Just enter your VIN and you will get the information in a few minutes.
Is the vehicle data on VinPit accurate?
Our data comes from verified data sources, including government databases and insurance companies.
How can I tell the year of a Yamaha vehicle with its VIN?
You can take a look at its 10th character. It uses the repeated cycles of alphabet letters (with I, O, Q, U, and Z omitted) and the numbers 1-9 to indicate the model years since 1980.
Is the Yamaha VIN decoder safe?
Yes, Vinpit's Yamaha VIN decoder is safe to use. It won't violate your privacy or give out any of your personal information.