Honda Vin Decoder
What Is a Honda VIN & Its Inclusions?
A Honda VIN code is a 17-digit alphanumeric identification code that tells important information about a Honda vehicle. You can usually find the code in your vehicle.
You can also locate your Honda VIN numbers on the vehicle title and registration card. However, the ones you can find on your vehicle are the most reliable.
If you have a Honda Civic, for example, your Honda Civic VIN is made up of 17 alphanumeric characters divided into three groups.
- WMI - The first three characters are the vehicle’s WMI (world manufacturer identification). It provides the vehicle’s country of origin, manufacturer, and place of production.
- VDI - Characters 4 to 9 make up the vehicle’s VDI, which stands for the vehicle description section. It gives you information about the properties of the vehicle. The manufacturer decides on the sequence and meaning of the characters.
- VIS - The last 8 digits represent the VIS or the vehicle identification section.
Aside from the VIN code, the main sticker on your door frame also contains the country of manufacture, the month and year of manufacture, a bar code, and other information about your vehicle.
What is a Honda VIN Decoder & How Does It Work?
A Honda VIN decoder is a program that analyzes the VIN through a predefined table. It analyzes the WMI, VDI, and VIS of your VIN. It will give you the following information based on each character of your Honda VIN code.
- 1st - This gives the country of origin of your vehicle. For example, if the first character is J, it means that the country of origin is Japan.
- 2nd - This gives information on the manufacturer of your car. For Honda vehicles, this will be the letter H.
- 3rd - This gives geographical information on the place of production.
- 4th, 5th, and 6th - These characters give you details on the type of chassis of the vehicle.
- 7th - This is about the vehicle’s transmission type.
- 8th - This tells you about the modification of the car.
- 9th - This serves as a check for the accuracy and validity of the Honda VIN numbers.
- 10th - This character contains information on the year of the car.
- 11th - This represents the assembly plant where the car was assembled.
- 12th to 17th - These make up the unique serial number of the car.
How to Run a Honda VIN Check?
A free Honda VIN decoder can help you decode your Honda VIN quickly and hassle-free. To find the information about your Honda car through a Honda VIN decoder, just follow these steps:
- Input the Honda VIN in your Honda VIN decoder.
- Press Enter to start decoding.
- Get a free VIN report for your vehicle.
- Use the report for your requirement.
Where Can You Find Your Honda VIN?
Before you can run your Honda VIN in the VIN decoder, you need to find it first. You can find your VIN in your vehicle in the following places.
- On the sticker on the non-removable parts of your vehicle, like your engine block,
- On the dashboard by the side of the driver, or
- On the main sticker on the driver’s door, on the door frame’s rear side
What Can You Get by Decoding a Honda VIN?
Honda VIN codes are not just used to identify and mark cars of different manufacturers and models. If you are buying a used car, you can use the VIN code to check its records in the Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) database. It will show you how many previous owners the car has had. It will also show the following information:
- Last inspection date
- Whether the car is a stolen vehicle
- Whether the car qualifies as a lemon
- Major accident records
- Recall history
- Whether the car has reached maximum miles and the gauge was reverted to zero.
VIN codes help prevent car theft because they make reselling the car difficult. A Honda VIN decode can warn a potential buyer if the car is tagged as a stolen vehicle.
You can also use the VIN for your car’s title, registration, and insurance.
Sample VIN Numbers
Here are some examples of Honda VIN codes and what they mean.
- JHMGE8H58DC050517 — 2013 Honda Fit Sport 5-Speed AT (1.5L L4 SOHC 16V), Hatchback 4-DR
- 1HGEJ8145WL012057 - 1998 Honda Civic Manual (1.6L) 2-DR Coupe
- JHMZF1D60BS000225 — 2011 Honda CR-Z EX CVT (1.5L L4 SOHC 16V HYBRID), HATCHBACK 3-DR
- 2HGFA16978H502922 — 2008 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan AT (1.8L L4 SOHC 16V), SEDAN 4-DR
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a Honda VIN decoder safe?
Your Honda VIN decoder should take your safety and privacy seriously. At the VinPit site, for example, we ensure that your data is safe with us always by using high-end SSL.
What vital information will I find with my Honda Civic VIN?
A Honda Civic VIN number will provide information on your Honda’s country transmission type, body type, engine type and size, model year, and assembly plant, among others.
Can I see the names of the owner or lienholder or the names of the previous owner when I use a Honda Civic VIN decoder?
No. It is against federal privacy laws and illegal in most states. At VinPit, it is also against our security policy.
Where does the information from a Honda VIN Lookup come from?
The vehicle information and history come from the DMV, police records, NMVTIS, insurance records, and other proprietary sources.
Buying a vehicle, even second-hand, does not come cheap. It would be wise and prudent to know every little thing that you can learn about the vehicle. After all, you wouldn’t want to be paying thousands of dollars for a car that was stolen and would eventually get you in trouble. A Honda VIN decoder makes buying that classic second-hand Accord hassle-free.
At VinPit, we also provide you with useful tools such as a VIN check, license plate lookup, and vehicle history report, among others. Use VinPit today for your quick Honda VIN lookup.